Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Eggs Static

I enjoyed the rare treat of waking up this morning at a reasonable time (6 am instead of 5 am) then cooking  and eating and  fabulous breakfast with my family.

My parents are staying with us for a few months to give the Utah winter a trail run before buying a house here. Mom had already fed our youngest, Paul, his normal meal of cereal and yogurt so it was just Chloe and I for eggs. I keep thinking that if I let him eat all of the cereal and yogurt he can stand that he will eventually want to eat something else. But it occurs to me that the flaw in that theory is that there are many kinds of yogurt and an even greater variety of cereals, at any rate he is happy and healthy and also eats bananas and peanut butter so life is good.

Chloe has a long happy history with egg consumption, dating back to her YouTube appearance at age two eating and discussing an egg that our chickens laid that morning. Check it out if you want to see the absolute sweetest thing on the internet: Chloe's Egg on YouTube.

My current eating goal is to eat a big delicious breakfast that is filling, contains some quality protein, and keeps me satisfied for a few hours. I find that when I eat a tiny breakfast I want some tasty donuts/candy/bagels, in other words any of the junk my coworkers so delight in bringing to the office.

This mornings creation:

Two egg white omelet stuffed with chopped fresh spinach and tomatoes
Skinny english muffin topped with 1 tsp butter and 1 Tbl marionberry preserves
Four 99% fat free slices of hickory turkey breast from Land O'Lakes


It really was a fantastic breakfast, but my eyes were much bigger than my stomach and I had to leave most of the turkey uneaten. Still, I made it all the way to lunch with Duane and the fabulous Lofte's Pizzeria after my meeting in Salt Lake this morning.

In typical new blogger fashion, I ate first before remembering to take the picture of the beautiful Rosemary Chicken Salad. The salad had mixed green, grilled rosemary chicken, capers, red onions, and celery served with a really nice balsamic dressing (the remains of the dressing are shown below, sorry). Yes that is my finger print running through the dressing on the plate!


All in all a successful day in the healthy eating initiative. One thing that I have learned lately is that the quality of the food I eat is the most important factor in how I feel, and a pretty plate always makes things taste better somehow.

On that note I should mention that Chloe was a little put out that her egg was served by my wonderful mother on a regular plate and that I put my breakfast on a fancy plate so I could take the picture. I promise right here and now that she is going to eat a beautiful dinner on the fanciest plate in the house tonight.

Happy evening all, off to make a nice cup of decaf earl grey tea, Stash Tea is my favorite, and get some work finished.

Melaina

No comments:

Post a Comment